Fall Kale Salad
This scrumptious salad has all the flavors of fall – root vegetable, apples and kale! Be sure not to skip step 3 in the instructions: while tenderizing kale is nearly always a useful step in preparing any kale-centric dish, raw kale dishes particularly benefit from a good olive oil-sea salt rub down. This salad delights kale lovers and skeptics alike!
Key Nutrients: Vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, fiber, manganese, calcium, potassium
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch curly or red kale, stems removed and leaves chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, chopped into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 400 °F. Combine the sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper on two baking sheets lined with foil. Roast, rotating the sheets, and stirring the potatoes halfway through, until lightly browned and tender. Roughly 18-20 minutes.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, and remaining 4 tablespoons of oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl.
- Add kale to a large bowl, add lemon juice mixture, and rub into the leaves to tenderize and coat the kale.
- Add the apple, almonds, and sweet potato and toss to combine. Top with Parmesan and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)